It’s a testing time for Devendra, says wife Amruta Fadnavis


 

 

 

 

 

 By Chandana Roy


In a candid chat with Amruta Fadnavis, wife of Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, ‘The Hitavada’ got to know the “Mrs CM”. Other than being the CM’s wife, she is a mother and a successful banker - Associate Vice-President of Axis Bank in Nagpur. Excerpts of the interview:

Q: How do you and the Chief Minister feel about the grand reception received on Devendra’s arrival to the city?
A: It was an overwhelming experience. I realized how much people love Devendra. Their affection was genuine. Happiness was definitely there. Because people have loved and believed in him so much, voted for him, given him this position, even his party senior leaders also… it’s love of people, each BJP activist up to the top senior leaders … so it’s a feeling of responsibility that they have so much faith in him and so many expectations. He has to fulfill them. So, it’s a testing time for him. I have full confidence that Devendra will be able to meet the expectations of the people.
Q: As a voter from Nagpur, what do you want the CM to do for your city?
A: Vidarbha farmers are committing suicides. So a plan of action is needed to improve their condition. Second is the infrastructure. Bringing industries to Nagpur. MIHAN, and other projects that have not taken off. He is already working on it. Women’s safety is also important.
Q: Tell us more about yourself – you as a banker, mother, wife etc?
A: As a banker, I’m totally professional. I keep my personal and professional life separate. As a mother, like any other mother – I dote and care for my daughter. And as a wife (laughs…) I’m very patient and keep less expectations because of the kind of good work he is doing.
Q: Tell us more about your background? Where did you study? What are your
interests?
A: My parents are both doctors and stay in Sadar. I’ve done my schooling from St. Joseph Convent. Then I did my MBA and then Taxation Laws from Symbiosis, Pune.
I’m really passionate about music, singing. I like songs of all kinds, especially ghazals, bhajans, light classical music.
Q: When did you first hear Devendra’s name?
A: I was an apolitical person. I first voted at the age of 30, after marriage. So, even though I had heard his name as he was famous, I didn’t follow politics. I stayed in my own world, my own friends, my college, my music, and then my job. I used to read business newspapers and focused mainly on financial news. In my banking job I was working for 11 to 12 hours at UTI bank. I used to go at 9-9.30 am and come back by 8.30-9 pm. So, there was hardly any time to follow anything else. Nowadays, the young people are very aware. Some years back they were not … as I was not much aware.
So, when our mothers met and came up with this marriage proposal, I actually got to know the real Devendra (smiles…).
Q: Do you and Devendra discuss Nagpur’s development? Do you discuss politics?
A: I receive a lot of feedback from people as I’m into banking. I meet many HNI’s (High-net-worth individual) or knowledgeable people daily. I do discuss things with them. I do ask Devendra why can’t this be done, or why a particular thing is being done this way. He is a ‘Diggaj’ (stalwart). So I don’t need to tell him much. In fact, I learn a lot from him.
Q: Will you and your family miss the liberties of a common man?
A: (Laughs…) I’ll take the security men with me for eating out and will ensure they eat too. I’ll take them for movies. In fact I’m going out for dinner now with my friend Rani Dev.
Q: Anything that you’ll miss as a CM’s wife?
A: Nothing. It’s such a big responsibility and such a big achievement that these are very small things.
Q: Will your relation with your friends, colleagues, relatives change?
A: My real friends still talk to me in a ‘tu-takadi’ (informal) manner, just like before. Nothing has changed.
Q: Will you and your daughter Divija stay in Mumbai now?
A: Yes.
Q: With your banking job and now as the CM’s wife, will you get stressed?
A: It will require more time management. Stress won’t increase, as many positive things happen too. Devendra also works very hard. So if he isn’t stressed, and he is happy, I’m happy.
Q: Should a CM’s wife work?
A: Presently, I’ll be working, as I think I’ll balance my banking profession and my role as CM’s wife. If I am not able to balance my roles later… I’ll check it out. As of now, I’ll be working. I’ve been working with Axis bank since 12 years.
Q: Will security issues interfere with your work in the bank?
A: (Smiles…) It may interfere with my work, though I don’t think it’ll be much of a problem. My colleagues may feel that should they ask the ‘Mrs CM’ to do work. But my request to everyone is to treat me as normally as possible. Same way I want my daughter to be treated.
Q: Do you think Divija can one day become a politician like her father?
A: Can’t say, because today’s children are very much aware and they take their own decisions. This issue has not yet been explored as my daughter is just 5-years-old.
Q: Tell us more about your daughter Divija?
A: She is a very happy-go-lucky kid. And she has a natural ‘cultured’ nature. She will always take care that if her father is resting, she will not make noise. Or, if I come home, she will offer me water. She’ll say ‘Mama sit, what will you take’. She is a very understanding and caring kid.
Q: Do you find any major change in perspective of people about you in last one month?
A: Media exposure. Now everyone wants my reaction.
Q: What kind of food, clothing do you like? Which dish made by you does Devendra like?
A: I like healthy food. Paneer is one of my all-time favourites. Also, I like to wear any smart and comfortable outfit. I had made ‘gola bhaat and basil-tomato pasta’ for Devendra. He ate it happily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreign returned MBBS students not to be admitted in PG in State quota

Scrub Typhus's first caseconfirmed from Central India

Dr Vilas Dangre advises "Don’t humiliate yourself by demanding to practice allopathy"